Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day Two - Sci-Fi becomes SyFy... no, seriously!


Stupidist thing I've read in a while. The Sci-Fi Channel has announced that it will change the name of the channel (and website) to SyFy. Might just as well start calling it the SyPhilis Channel (insert your own jokes as appropriate).

Seriously, as a dedicated sci-fi fan for over 40 years, I find this a bit insulting. I have no real problem with them changing the name of the channel, but why make it a stupid, nonsensical name? It's like insulting the entire genre. Why not something nice, like, um, Phoenix or something? I'm sure if I put my mind to it, I could come up with something more appropriate.

What they really should consider is changing the crap programming they have. With the very obvious exception of Battlestar Galactica (the best piece of TV sci-fi in years), they really don't have much to brag about. That stupid "reality" show Ghost Hunters should be the first thing to chop. And the pitiful weekly Saturday Premiere movies should be scrapped and the money to make them funneled into a SINGLE DECENT FILM. Honestly, those weekly films are... weak.

Last comment: The little line below SyFy: "Imagine Greater"... what the hell does that mean? It's not even grammatically correct! Bloody idiots.

OK, I'm good now... just had to get that out of my system. :)

5 comments:

  1. This is so ridiculous. Just when you think they can't dumb things down any further (and this channel has really been pushing that line), they up the ante just a little more. Do they figure people don't recognize the proper spelling of the name "Sci-fi"? I hate these silly name creations. If it's really that big a problem won't people assume this is pronounced s-why? Shouldn't they have named it "SiFi"? Maybe they are just trying to give themselves a little distance from science fiction by donning it's name in sound only. On the plus side, does this allow another network to come in and take the name "Sci-fi"? Probably not, but if they aren't interested in using it, then they should just move on in a completely different direction, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me very much of my lovely homeland - where english expressions are "germanatified".

    Best example: a well known company had a slogan for their employees: "We grow our people", which had me in stitches - I used to ask myself where they grew them; did they need a lot of fertilizer? - of course what they really wanted to say was that they give their employees the best possible training.... *rolls eyes*

    I wonder about the state of the world when even the native speakers start to rape their language..
    Shall we start a petition for the Sci-Fi channel to remain the Sci-Fi channel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What stupid numbnuts network suit thought "hey! I've got a great idea! Let's corner the demographic by re-branding ourselves to some completely nonsensical word that doesn't even frickin' exist!"??

    The stunning stupidity of network executives in perpetually renewing poxy reality shows over creating new and innovative programming boggles my mind... still, are they merely pandering to what the majority seem to want (i.e. brainless voyeurism?) or are they the ones directing the way televisual entertainment is heading?

    Great blog by the way... only remains for me to say "Platypus" and scuttle off giggling like a small child...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, read that they wanted to make the change because Sci-Fi is a genre, and therefore could not be copyrighted....and they wanted something copyrighted for their channel name.

    Bottom line is on Friday, Battlestar Galactica ends - currently the only thing I watch on the channel - I guess Caprica will be on there soon enough, and I plan to at least give that a try, though I'm not at all sure it will be interesting....

    But then, I've never liked their programming all that much - the concept always overshadowed the reality, though at least in the beginning they ran a lot of reruns of old stuff I hadn't seen in years - since those days, I've watched Farscape, First Wave, Stargate SG-1, Galactica....and that's about it. So I won't be annoyed by their new name too much, since I'll hopefully be as exposed to it as I am to QVC...

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=blog_from_sci_fi_to

    Yup; I think I'm pretty safe in saying the only people who think this is a good plan are the suits...

    ReplyDelete