Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day One - Farewell Cosmo


Hey all (meaning those 2 or 3 of you that might actually read this), I've considered doing a blog for a while now and I guess today I finally made that choice.

I don't want to start off on a 'downer', but I'm afraid that's the way it's going to be.

Just last week (Friday March 13th, 2009) my wife and I woke to find our beloved Cosmo (a beautiful Great Dane) had passed away during the night. He was in his usually sleeping position, eyes closed and he looked at peace. I can't think of a better way to go.

We adopted Cosmo about three and a half years ago (I believe it was the Labor Day weekend of 2005). No-one knew anything of his past, but based on his skittish behaviour, he must have had a rough time at some stage. However, also based on his weird love of being dressed up (I'm serious!) and very eager desire to go visit little girls, we think he was also loved at some stage, by someone.

Cosmo had a good life with us. Actually, he was spoiled. lol My wife and I have no kids, so Cosmo was effectively our child. You can imagine that he received a lot of attention as a result.

As I mentioned earlier, he had some "issues", and saying he was skittish is an understatement. He was terrified of thunder (as many dogs are) but Cosmo was clever enough (and stupid enough) to associate lightning flashes with thunder - and camera flashes! As a result of that, he would run away and hide if you tried to take a picture of him (which sadly means we have very few pictures of him). In fact, one of the best pictures we have of him is one where he is hiding behind a tree because we tried to "snap" him running towards us (he promptly ran to the back of our yard and hid (see below)).

I have many stories of Cosmo that I could tell, and I might share them now and then as I try to deal with losing him so suddenly. For now I'll leave you with that picture.


We both miss him very much. The house is a very empty, quiet place without him.

5 comments:

  1. I love the great hiding place he found there behind that tree - I'm surprised you could find him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, yeah Dulci. I guess he was using the old 'head in the sand' technique. It's hard to hide 150 pounds any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a little note to say sorry about the loss of your canine friend. I have been through it a few times myself with cats, dogs, birds, and other animals (when Il ived on a farm) I've had and it's pretty heartwrenching. He looks like such a beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I guess I'm a little late, but condolences to you on the loss of your friend and companion.

    ReplyDelete